Friday, March 20, 2009

Matt Van Wyk-Out!


This, my friends, will be my last post on the Flossmoor Beer blog. It's with a little sadness and a little excitement for the future that I leave Flossmoor Station after nearly six years at the helm. It has certainly been a great run and I wouldn't change it for the world. I definitely "grew up" as a brewer not only reflected in the awards we were fortunate enough to earn, but in other things like recipe development, brewing techniques, public speaking, and business etiquette. And I definitely couldn't have done it without a lot of help along the way. First, Andrew-thanks for putting this blog up so we could have a little corner of the web, and thanks for being my right hand man for so long. Your fingerprints are on FSBC, even if folks don't know it.
Dean and Carolyn, thanks for giving a young inexperienced brewer a chance to give it a whirl at your brewery. I think we did alright.
Next, Thanks to all the people I worked with over the years at FSBC-and especially Sandi who now keeps the boat afloat. You're more important than you realize.
Also, thanks to all my Illinois Craft Brewers guild buddies who have been so valuable to me. Thanks for all your advice and support when I was coming up clueless.
Finally, thanks to all the people who think enough of me and the beer I make to spend your hard earned money on it. I've enjoyed making it for you, but more importantly, I've enjoyed your friendship and conversation (most of you ;) ).

I'd also like to wish the best to Bryan Shimkos the new brewer. He is going to do great and I know you are all in good hands. Please stay loyal to Flossmoor Station. It is bigger than just the guy who makes the beer.
Bryan, I know you've been waiting for me to get out of the way, so here ya go-make some new friends ;)

Thanks everyone! If you feel like seeing what is going on in Eugene Oregon at Oakshire brewing, check in now and again at www.oakbrew.com/blog.

Matt

No comments: